Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Baby Food 101

I had a hard time knowing when to start my baby on baby food/rice cereal and it was overwhelming to read all of the articles online.  After looking at different advice and tips, here is what I found out:

Can I add rice cereal to my baby's bottle?
No!  Your baby doesn't need the extra calories and a new study has come out saying that cereal-thickened formula can make babies gag and inhale the liquid into their lungs.

Should rice cereal be the first thing to introduce my baby to?
In the past people thought that babies should start with rice cereal but doctors say that it's fine to start your baby with pureed veggies or fruit.  

When should I start my baby on baby food?
For most babies you can start solids around 4 - 6 months old.  Make sure your baby can support his or her self and keep their head up independently before you start. (Ashely Hotle, pediatric dietitian at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital)

What should I do if my baby doesn't seem to like a certain food?
Keep trying!  Offer the food one bite every day for a week.  85% of babies eventually enjoy the taste of a new food. (Alan Greene, clinical professor of pediatrics at Stanford)

Should I feed my baby the veggies before the fruit?
Not necessarily.  In the past a lot of people thought that if you fed the baby fruit first then he/she wouldn't eat the veggies but there's no evidence to that theory.

When should I try new flavors of baby food for my baby?
Your baby can learn to like almost any food from 6 to 12 months (from the time he/she starts solids).  If you start introducing your baby to new foods at the beginning then they have a larger variety that they like when they get to the picky stage (around 2 or 3 years old).  You can even try some pureed seasoned ravioli to spice things up.  When your baby is 10 months old you can get even more adventurous!

How can I help reduce the risk of by baby spitting up the food?
When babies sit up at a 90º angle it will help strengthen the neck and head muscles, relieve pressure on the stomach, and help reduce spit up. 

What should and shouldn't I feed my baby if he/she is under 1 year old?
Fish is actually safe for babies 6 months and older!  Just make sure you mash it up really good and choose fish that is low in mercury (salmon or mahi mahi).  You probably already know this but you need to avoid feeding your baby honey.  Why? Clostridium bacteria can contaminate honey, especially, and cause infant botulism.  Infant botulism can cause muscle weakness, with signs like poor sucking, a weak cry, constipation, and an overall decreased muscle ton/floppiness (KidsHealth.org).  When kids get older they can handle the bacteria better.

Can my baby eat meat?
Yes!  As long as you puree your red meat or poultry to a thin consistency then go right ahead!  Studies actually show that children who eat meat earlier in life have higher intakes of zinc and iron which are essential nutrients for growth. 

* Final Tip:
Make sure that you are eating healthy foods so that your baby wants to eat what you are eating.  If you are eating greasy fries or ice cream then your baby will be fussy if you don't offer him/her some.  Your baby will be more interested in eating what's on his/her plate if it's the same as yours!  But don't let that stop you from your once or twice a month date with Ben & Jerry's ice cream when you have a craving!

No comments:

Post a Comment